(l-r) Maureen Kinsella, Pratheep Sevanthinathan, Nick Andrews, MAJ Past President Scott Goodwin, Wayne Miller, MAJ Immediate Past President Deb Freid, MAJ President Robert MacDonald, and Steve Gursten. Photo by John Meiu, courtesy of Detroit Legal News Publishing LLC.
- Immediate Past President of the Michigan Association for Justice, a 1400-member organization that is dedicated to the preservation of the rights of the injured to vigorous and effective representation on their behalf.
- Recognized by Leading Lawyers. Requires nomination by peers and fewer than 5% of Michigan attorneys are chosen.
- National Trial Lawyers of America: Top 100 Trial Lawyers since 2015
- AV Preeminent Rating—the highest rating that can be conferred from Martindale-Hubbell’s peer review national legal directory. (5.0 out of 5.0 – highest available AV rated Preeminent for legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgement, communication ability, and legal experience.)
- Associate in American Board of Trial Attorneys (ABOTA)- membership by invitation only; dedicated to the preservation of the right to jury trial for those injured.
- Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (since March 2017, one of only 9 certified in Michigan); dedicated to improving the quality of trial advocacy in the courtroom and to certifying only those who are highly qualified trial attorneys.
Debra Freid is a trial attorney. She’ll be your champion.
For the last 35 years Debra has fought for those injured by others – either because they’ve been fired unlawfully by an employer, hurt by someone’s carelessness, or cast aside by an insurance company. She’s in your corner from day one and often opposes powerful employers, insurance companies, and other institutions.
Truth and justice mean something here – they drive Debra, and her passion to help those fired wrongfully or injured negligently has only grown over the years. She works tirelessly to right the wrongs practiced by employers and insurance companies and, for Debra, every case is her most important case because each case represents a person whose life has been unfairly changed.
Debra takes the time to get to know her clients and their families– to really
appreciate what has happened to them. She’ll be your champion, too.
Over the years, Debra has received a number of honors; she has been named to the Top 100 Trial Lawyers since 2015 by the National Trial Lawyers of America and has consistently received the highest rating possible -“AV” (Preeminent )- from Martindale Hubbell, based on peer reviews, signifying excellence in legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience.
Debra is one of only a few trial attorneys in the State to be Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and she was nominated by her peers to be profiled in the inaugural edition of Leading Lawyers- Michigan, 2017.
Debra has been a speaker at both ICLE and MAJ seminars and has been appointed by Federal Judges to serve on the Rules Committee, among others, for the U. S. Federal Courts; Debra is also the Editor of Verdicts and Settlements, a publication of the Michigan Association for Justice. Debra is admitted to practice in the State courts, as well as in the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan and for the Central District of Illinois, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit,.
She is a member of the Michigan Association for Justice, the American Association for Justice, the National Employment Lawyers Association, American Board of Trial Attorneys (ABOTA), the State Bar Labor & Employment Law Section, the Saginaw County Bar Association and the Women’s Lawyer Association of Michigan.